Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chili Con Carne with Wine

Chili Con Carne and Cornbread
February means a lot of things in my house. Of course, there is Valentine’s Day, and my birthday too! But the most fun part is the SUPERBOWL! This year, we are going to MIL1′s house, and the family requested my “famous chili” and sweet cornbread. When they butter you up like that, how can you say no? :D  I’m making my chili con carne…which is only semi-famous. I have won 2 local chili cook offs with the recipe, but outside of our area I don’t know that it is all that famous,haha. ;) Sorry it took me so long to post this bad boy, but like I said...we have a LOT going on in February!
Ingredients:
2.5 LB. ground beef
1/2 diced green pepper
1/4 Cup dried flaked onion

If you shop sales with coupons, the ingredients are pretty cheap,too. 

1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup red wine

1 14 oz can diced tomatos
1 6oz can tomato paste
2 beef bullion cubes
1 can lite kidney beans
1 can dark kidney beans
Spices:
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp sugar

LET’S MAKE SOME CHILI CON CARNE! 


1. Saute your green pepper, onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, until they are softened. (This part smells great!)

2.  Add the meat, and brown over medium heat until the juices run clear (cooked through).


3.  Add wine, bullion cubes, tomatoes and herbs and combine well. I like to use my big ol’ wood spoon for this part. My Grammy gave it to me. :D


4.  Add both cans of beans, liquid and all. At this point in the process I also added 1/2 cup water, and gave it a really good stir.

5.  Let simmer for around 90 minutes…or until the smell drives you crazy, and you HAVE to have some! I distracted myself by making cornbread muffins. In my opinion, chili without cornbread is like A burger without a bun. Sure…you could eat it…but it just isn’t right. ;)


This is one of my favorite one pot meals, and you can adjust the spice level to your tastes. We like it to kick you a little in the back of the throat! ;)    Well, everyone except *MF, who does not like chili in any form. Although he HAS said, of all the chili he has had to eat, he tolerates mine the best. :D  


Creative Commons License
This work by Little Mom on the Prairie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment