Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Painted Cork Memo Board (Tutorial)

I am a compulsive note writer. I am constantly jotting lists or scribbling reminders to myself, only to lose them. I am known to rewrite the same list many times, because I am a scatterbrain! One of my goals this year is to get more organized…so I made a little cork memo board for my kitchen entry way.
Craft Cork Memo Board
Materials Used:
Cheap wood 5x5 frame. This did not have a back so I made one - try to find one with a back!
Craft corks
X-Acto knife or other craft blade
Hot glue gun and glue
Blue spray paint
Office clips

First, cut the craft corks into wafers. I probably should have gone thicker, but whats done is done. :)

Craft cork slices
Since the craft frame did not come with a backing, I made one from paint stirrers. I cut them down to size with an X-Acto knife (carefully!) then hot glued them together. Yours may have a backing, in which case just use that one. 
Paint stir backing
Next,  glue the wafers in neat little rows, onto the backing. I lined them all up first to make sure they would fit.Once the glue is dry (2-3 minutes), you can paint. I used some leftover Krylon that I had in the garage, and did a few even coats. I did let just a little of the dark wood frame show through.
a few quick coats

Let dry overnight
Let it dry overnight. I hung it on a stray picture nail that was in the kitchen, but it looked a little naked.
Plain Jane
I had some clip pins left over from my office cubicle days, and I added a few. I LOVE the way this looks in my kitchen, and since it is right near the door…no more excuses not to remember to grab milk! 
GET MILK, WOMAN!

Maybe this will help me not lose the grocery list,hmm? ;) 







Creative Commons License
This work by Little Mom on the Prairie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment